GLOSSY, SHINY, VOLUMINOUS, SMOOTH…We want it all when it comes to hair. The “#HAIR-GOALS” has made most of us crave for those perfect effortless locks and we always wonder- “Is it so easy to achieve it?” or “How do people manage to take care of them?” The questions are endless and the answers are so confusing and complicated that it makes it hard to figure out the right solution. While some people are blessed with the most amazing hair because of their genes or a god’s gift and don’t really put efforts in maintaining it but still there are plenty of us for whom the struggle is real. So here are few basic things which will help you to maintain healthy hair.
Hair products can be essential when it comes to hair texture but the food you eat is the most important thing when it comes to growth enhancement and nourishment. Healthy hair is directly proportionate to the food you put in your body. Here are some of the nutrients you must incorporate in your daily diet:
PROTEINS- It is necessary for hair growth as the composition of hair follicles are made mostly protein. It also helps in making your strands strong.
example- Greek yogurt, salmon, nuts, beans , legumes, tofu, lean meat, green peas.
IRON- Though it is not completely proven and studies are still being done linking the deficiency of iron and hair loss but researchers have found lower levels of iron in people who suffered from extreme hair fall. Iron helps the body to produce hemoglobin which carries oxygen for the growth and repair of cells in your body.
example- spinach, pumpkin, pumpkin seeds, legumes, cashews, pine nuts, chicken
VITAMIN C- Helps in the absorption of iron and studies shows that it stores iron in a more simpler form which can be easily absorbed by the body.
example- broccoli, peppers, cabbage, sweet potato, orange, kiwi fruit, strawberry, pineapple, mango, tomato.
ZINC- It is needed for proper immune function, cell growth and division. Zinc acts as an inhibitor for male pattern baldness and alopecia. as our body doesn’t store zinc , it’s important to have food that has it.
example- eggs, dairy, nuts, crabs, oysters, dark chocolate.
BIOTIN (vitamin B7)- Its a part of complex B vitamins. Biotin helps the body to metabolize fats and carbohydrates. Keratin is a form of protein that is present in hair, skin and nails. Biotin improves body’s keratin function thereby promoting healthy hair, skin and nails growth.
example- almonds, mushrooms, cauliflower, egg yolk, fish, meat.
PREVENT HAIR FALL AND BREAKAGE
Hair fall happens when the follicles become weak and starts falling from the root/scalp and breakage happens when the strands loses their strength. As they become fragile it starts breaking from the middle causing loss of volume and an unpleasant appearance.
- Don’t use hair brush on wet hair and instead use a wide tooth comb instead.
- Replace regular towels with microfiber ones as they are more gentle on your hair.
- Split ends usually cause breakage so either prevent them from occurring or get a trim after every 2 months
- Limit use of texture sprays and dry shampoos.
- Go for permanent hair colors which are closer to your natural color or the ones that can be done without the use of harsh bleach.
- Avoid use of Shampoos and other hair products with parabens, artificial and strong fragrances, sulfate.
- Heat damage by styling tools and sunlight which can be protected with the use of heat protectants , hat and umbrella.
- Avoid tight buns and high pony tails as they cause extreme pulling and causes extreme stress on your roots. Do loose plaits as they as they keep your hair tangled and don’t disturb your scalp.
- Hard water, chlorinated water in swimming pool and harmful UV ways are some of the environmental factors which can also cause hairfall. So it’s essential to protect your hair in such conditions by using a hair oil, leave in conditioners or hair mists.
EXCESS SEBUM AND DRYNESS
Your scalp has a major role to play when it comes to having healthy hair. It’s normal to have oily or dry scalp as long as you keep it well nourished. What goes wrong and might irritate your scalp is when it gets too oily like over production of sebum or when it gets too dry and becomes flaky. So instead of going crazy with hair products and doing experimental remedies it’s always preferable to treat your scalp in the mos mild and gentle way possible. Here are some things you can keep in mind
- Avoid using excess hair cleansers.
- Scalp exfoliation to get rid of sticky or flaky dandruff.
- Adding omega-3 in your diet.
- Hot showers strip all the natural oils from your hair that’s why it is preferable to use cold or warm water for washing your hair.
GET THAT GLOSS
Nothing can compare to shiny, glistening locks as they are pretty much the holy grail of hair care. We often end up buying tons of product to add that perfect gloss to our hair but it can end in looking all greasy and messed up that’s why it’s better to achieve natural shine by giving your hair proper nourishment. Hair strands when given proper care are more like to have strength and sturdiness. Here are some tips to achieve it:
- Use natural bristles brush instead of nylon one
- Replace your regular pillow covers with silk or any other material which isn’t harsh.
- Use vitamin e capsules on your roots or vitamin e serum and gently massage your scalp. You can mix it with your go to hair oil and leave it like a hair mask.
- Use argan oil or any other light weight oil as a hair serum.
- Use deep conditioning hair masks once a week and rinse it off with cold water.
Can u please tell a good conditioning hair mask
it depends on your hair type and concerns